The holidays have us all kicking back and relaxing for the most part, but the post-holiday decluttering and organizing process should begin any minute now. With the New Year just days away, some of us are already cleaning up and tidying, as we want our homes to be spic and span as 2021 arrives. After all, some believe that a clean home is more welcoming of good luck and a more prosperous New Year. To help us on our journey of purging our homes of what we’ve accumulated from the past year and clean up the holiday decor we’ve put up, here are some post-holiday decluttering and organizing tips that may help you in cleaning up every room in the house.
5 Post-Holiday Decluttering and Organizing Tips and Tricks for a Cleaner Home
- Clean your kitchen appliances. The holidays may bring about a lot of food prep and cooking. Make sure you refresh your kitchen appliances by cleaning them out, including your oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator. Organize your refrigerator by putting leftovers up in front and fresher items in the back. Make sure you also clean the inside of your refrigerator and freezer. Throw away expired items that you may have overlooked.
- Store holiday decor properly. Invest in a few organizing containers (our recommendations are below) to ensure that your decor does not get damaged or dirty and can be used on the next holiday season. Go the extra mile by cleaning them out before putting them back in storage, as they may have accumulated dust from this year’s displays. Make sure to store holiday themed tablecloth and napkins properly as well to avoid discoloration and stains.
- Declutter and discard used wrapping paper, ribbons, food containers, and other holiday items. Make sure you properly dispose of these items in the necessary biodegradable and non-biodegradable trash cans. Check your local community for places where you can recycle wine bottles, cans, and more.
- Spot treat any stains on furniture before you vacuum and clean them. The holidays may bring about some stains here and there, especially with kids and pets around. Get rid of stains using the proper treatment to ensure your furniture does not get damaged.
- Consider donating items you no longer need. Whether it’s gifts you’ve received or items around the house you no longer have a use for, think about donating such items to those in need this holiday season. This year has been especially tough on a lot of communities and donating is a simple way to help out those who are in need. Look up local organizations you can send your donations to.
Read more: Cleaning Up After Christmas Tips and Tricks
The Best All-Purpose Cleaners According to CustomersThis Look does not have an image.
1. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner, Lemon Verbena, 16 fl oz, 3 Count
When it comes to value for your money and safe cleaning, Mrs. Meyer’s is always the top choice of parents or homeowners with kids and pets around. This multi-surface spray effectively removes dirt, grime, and odors from non-porous surfaces throughout the house. It’s even safe to use as a hardwood floor cleaner. It features a garden-fresh lemon verbena scent that is refreshing and mild. This thoughtfully formulated product is biodegradable and not tested on animals. It has an overall customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “The smell is comforting and the thickness makes the product last a long time. You really get your money’s worth.” Dee S.
2. Biokleen Natural All Purpose Cleaner, Super Concentrated, Eco-Friendly, Non-Toxic, Plant-Based, 64 Ounces
The Biokleen Natural All Purpose Cleaner truly packs a punch, as it makes up to 64 gallons of cleaner. Made for cleaning and degreasing in and around the home, this all purpose cleaner is powered by citrus and grapefruit seed extract, which offers a pleasant scent without any harsh residues or fumes. It is powered by seed extract and plant-based C10-16 alcohols to effectively clean your home. It does not contain phosphates, chlorine, ammonia, petroleum solvents, alcohol, butyl, glycol ether, brighteners, artificial colors, or artificial fragrance. This product is made in the U.S.A. It has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I absolutely love this stuff! I use it for almost all my household cleaning, and a little goes a long way! The scent is fresh and leaves the house smelling clean but never too strong. It’s definitely a good value for the money, especially if you don’t need to make the solution highly concentrated.” Hannah Salmeron
3. Puracy All Purpose Cleaner, Streak-Free, Food Safe Natural Household Multi-Surface Spray, 25 Ounce (2-Pack)
Clean your hard surfaces without streaking with Puracy All Purpose Cleaner, developed and tested by doctors to effectively remove post-holiday mess. Its plant-based formula is effective in remoing food, soda, juice, grease, oil, sugar, pet accidents, fingerprints, footprints, lipstick, tree sap, grime, adhesives, soap scum, dirt, spills, streaks, residues, and more, so you need not worry about cleaning up your home after the holidays. This product is hypoallergenic, vegan, and biodegradable, making it safe to use around children and pets. Leave your home smelling fresh with its hit of green tea and lime natural scent. This all purpose cleaner has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Love this cleaner. Since this is concentrated, I buy less plastic and it usually lasts 6 months or more! It smells great and really does a great job cleaning.” Dana Ball
4. Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner, Clary Sage & Citrus, 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 2)
Clean up your home without the guilt of having chemical residue in the air with the Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner. It has a unique formula designed with powerful natural cleaning agents like soap bark, corn and coconut, topped off with clary sage and citrus extracts for a naturally light clean scent. Its plant-based formula does not contain synthetic fragrances, or harsh cleaning agents but is effective in cleaning toilets, countertops, appliances, upholstery, baseboards, walls, floors, tables, showers, boats, cars, sporting equipment, toys, and more! This cleaner is tough on stains but safe around kids and pets, so you need not worry. This product contains biodegradable ingredients. It has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Really enjoying this. With most natural cleaners, I feel skeptical at first since some don’t clean as well as others. I love this cleaner! Not an overpowering scent, cleans a number of surfaces well and I feel good about using it around my pets and family.” Carriepants
5. Lemi Shine Antibacterial Multi-Surface Spray Cleaner, Disinfecting Spray with Fresh Lemon Scent, 3-Pack 28oz
Powered by citric acid instead of harsh bleach Lemi Shine Antibacterial Multi-Surface Spray Cleaner effectively kills 99.9% of bacteria on various surfaces. It eliminates germs, including Staph, Salmonella, and E. Coli Cleans, while addressing tough grease and grime. It also neutralizes common household allergens and is safe to use on countertops, cribs, fixtures, high chairs, tabletops, and floors. This product has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I have COPD and this is a great cleaner for me. The scent isn’t strong. I take care of my elderly mother and have to clean a lot. It is my go to cleaner.” Nan C
The Most Effective Stain Removers for Tough Holiday StainsThis Look does not have an image.
1. The Hate Stains Co. Chateau Spill Red Wine Stain Remover
Wine spills are common around the holidays (and probably throughout 2020, let’s be honest!), so make sure you have the Chateau Spill Red Wine Stain Remover handy at home. It is the ultimate red wine stain remover that features a professional, commercial grade formula that instantly removes wine stains from clothing, carpets, furniture, upholstery, and more. It’s an instant spot remover that is formulated without any peroxide, chlorine, phosphates, sulphates or parabens. Its 100% biodegradable pH neutral formula is effective to use on wine but gentle on clothing, rugs, furniture, and more. This product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I have used this product for years on red wine, spaghetti sauce, blood or any red stain. It works perfectly! Highly recommended!” Vicki Bowman Clauson
2. Grandma’s Secret Spot Remover, 2 Ounce (Pack of 3)
With a biodegradable formula that is non-toxic and free of chlorine and phosphates, Grandma’s Secret Spot Remover is tough on stains but is gentle on fabrics. Effectively remove oil, grease, paint, makeup, grass, clay, ink, blood, baby formula, pet stains, and more with this cruelty-free product made in the U.S. This product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I had a big set in sauce stain on my favorite sweatshirt and this product worked perfectly! Took it right out on the first use. I definitely recommend!” Stephanie Smith
3. Ecover Stain Remover, 6.8oz
Worry not about stains this holiday season with the Ecover Stain Remover, which features a biodegradable formula that’s tough on stains but good on the environment. It features a built-in brush so you can easily apply it on stains and watch it fade away. Its renewable plant-based and mineral ingredients make for a powerful yet gentle clean. This product has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I love this little scrubber bottle. It works great for stains and pre-treating specific areas (like armpits). Scent is not overpowering and doesn’t cling to fabric once washed. The bottle still comes in handy even after the product has been all used because of the scrubby brush head.” CanIGetaZzuuu
4. Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover Trigger Spray
Whether it’s spot stains or odors, Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover Trigger Spray can do the job efficiently. Upon contact of the product, it begins to break down and remove stains, effectively leaving a clean like no other. It features a light citrus scent that refreshes your home and an enzymatic formula that continues to work as long as there is a bio-based mess is present. It also effectively breaks down embedded dirt and debris. This product is safe to use around pets. It has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Works great with our new puppy! Gets stains out better than other products I’ve tried. Bought some for my sister as well, and she loves it, too!” Joanna
5. Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator
If you have pets at home, the Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator is a must-have. This best-selling stain, odor, and residue eliminator is enzyme activated, containing a natural enzymatic bacteria that activates upon contact with odors and stains. This product is chlorine-free and color safe, making it great to use on carpets and furniture. This product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “It worked quickly and completely, and I will always have this in my house from now on. Just a life-saver for our carpet.” Amazonian
Post-holiday Decluttering and Organizing Must-havesThis Look does not have an image.
- Zober Plastic Christmas Ornament Storage Box Large with 2-Sided Dual-Zipper Closure, keeps up to 128 holiday ornaments in 3-inch compartments. Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- IRIS USA, Inc. TB-56D 53 Quart Stack & Pull Box, Multi-Purpose Storage Bin, 6 Pack, Pearl, a set of modular storage bins with built in handle and a 53-quart capacity that allows for much storage space that is stackable and easy to transport. Rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Prandom Large Collapsible Storage Bins with Lids (3 Pack), linen fabric foldable storage bins that feature a sturdy design and handles made of stainless steel that doesn’t rust. Aesthetically can match any home decor. Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- AmazonBasics Basic Duty Storage/Filing Boxes with Lift-Off Lid, Legal/Letter Size, 20-Pack, a set of boxes made of B-flute corrugated cardboard with a 450-pound stacking strength and double-walled bottom and ends for extra durability and 2 side handles for easy carrying. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Waygoal Clothes Storage Bag Organizer Container (2-Pack), a set of clothes storage organizers made of waterproof Oxford material and PVC to protect items from moisture, odor, and dust, with a collapsible design for easy storage. Great for storing holiday tablecloths and napkins. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
If you enjoyed this story on post-holiday decluttering and organizing tips and tricks, make sure to drop by these home improvement stories from The Teelie Blog archive.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.